- Keep Windows and Software up-to-date:
Computer programs are continually improved based on customer feedback and regular product testing. As problems are resolved, you should benefit from those improvements. By keeps your Windows and other software up-to-date.
- Run antivirus software and a spyware detection and removal tool:
If your computer seems sluggish or if you begin to see lots of pop-up advertisements, even when you’re not surfing the web, your computer may be infected with spyware, adware, or other unwanted software. To combat spyware, you should install antivirus software from a reputable vendor, such as Microsoft, AVG, Norton, or Avast to scan and remove virus. Keep your antivirus software up to date.
- Free up disk space:
The Disk Cleanup tool helps you to free up space on your hard disk to improve the performance of your computer. The tool identifies files that you can safely delete and then enables you to choose whether you want to delete some or all of the identified files. Use Disk Cleanup to:
- § Remove temporary Internet files.
- § Delete downloaded program files, such as Microsoft ActiveX controls and Java applets.
- § Empty the Recycle Bin.
- § Remove Windows temporary files, such as error reports.
- § Delete optional Windows components that you don’t use.
- § Delete installed programs that you no longer use.
- § Remove unused restore points and shadow copies from System Restore.
Tip: Typically, temporary Internet files take the most amount of space because the browser caches each page you visit for faster access later.
- Speed up access to data: Running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter on a regular basis is a proven way to help keep your computer running quickly and efficiently.
- Detect and repair disk errors:In addition to running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter to optimize the performance of your computer, you can check the integrity of the files stored on your hard disk by running the Error Checking utility.As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors. Bad sectors slow down hard disk performance and sometimes make data writing (such as file saving) difficult or even impossible. The Error Checking utility scans the hard drive for bad sectors and scans for file system errors to see whether certain files or folders are misplaced.If you use your computer daily, you should run this utility once a week to help prevent data loss.
- Preventing Overheating: Most of PC’s motherboard failures are related to overheating issue. Especially laptops trend to be slimmer and everything built-in on board, but the fan and the heat sink are not working good when dust got stuck from the inside that preventing the air ways to cool down CPU, Video components. Clean your Fan more often. Laptop when in-use, keep its bottom clear and cool as much as possible.